Sunday, May 1, 2011

Pocketwatch (Final)

We were inside Peter's motel room. Peter was explaining something about Sowing Season when the door burst open. A bearded, hulking man ran into the room. Peter grabbed his handgun off the nightstand beside the bed, but it was too late; the man punched Peter away from the nightstand. Then, he turned to me, and I closed my eyes as the man punched my lights out.

When I came to, I felt blood trickle down from my forehead. I clasped my head and looked around. The entire room was a mess. Peter picked himself up off of the floor and turned to me. His eyes widened, and he felt his pockets.

"It's gone. He took it. Goddamn it."

I knew what he meant immediately. The pocketwatch was gone and that man took it.

Peter grabbed all of his things and ran out to the car. I got up and followed behind him. He jumped in and began to bark orders at me as I got in.

"Listen: this is about to get dangerous. I don't want to scare you, but they are. Hold on. Stay down."

He started the car, backed out, and sped out of the parking lot.

"How do you know where he took the watch?"

"I don't. I do know the truck he was in. I saw him earlier today. He was tracking me down. I can't believe it. Now, think, think, think... what would he want with the wa-"

The car stopped. The door opened. Peter's pulled out of the car by some invisible force. He's slammed down against the pavement.

A crazed man with light hair and a torn labcoat appeared in front of the car. He began to talk to Peter. I got up from my seat and opened the car door, disregarding Peter's earlier advice. The man smiled and pointed a finger to me. I felt my skin run cold as I was lifted off the ground and pulled towards this man. I screamed aloud, and looked around, hoping someone would see the situation.

But everything around us seemed to be perpetually frozen. I screamed again. The man stopped smiling and smashed me against the front of the car. I felt faint.

"-look at your sidekick, Rivers. Why won't you save him?"

Peter yelled at the man to stop. I felt the "grip" on me vanish. The man approached Peter and whispered into his ear.  He then disappeared into thin air.

Peter came over to me and picked me up. He carried me to the backseat and put me down inside. He drove away. He didn't say anything. He stopped in front of my house, and luckily, my mother was not home. He helped me stagger into my house.

He took me to my room. I crawled onto my bed. I faced him. He looked broken. I felt broken too.

"What's happening, Peter?"

"I don't know yet."

"What did that man say to you?"

"He gave me a location. I will be heading there as soon as possible."

"Can I come with you?"

Peter seemed torn over answering that.

"...No. It's far too dangerous for you; for anyone. There's no way you can go. I'm sorry. This is probably goodbye for now." 

"That kind of sucks."

"Indeed. But hopefully, it isn't a goodbye set in stone. Perhaps, I will come back. But for now... you need to take care of yourself. Don't be reckless as I have been. I see now that maybe I shouldn't of been encouraging you to take control of your life in a reckless way. Perhaps... you can attain a normal life. Who knows? You're only 16. Things will get better. Trust me."

His voice cracked a little at the end.

I felt like I was losing some part of me as he walked out of my room.

No comments:

Post a Comment